What is health coaching?
Sports coaches help athletes perform at their highest level by expert tutoring, constructive feedback, setting goals and motivating them to achieve it. Similar to sports coaches, health and wellness coaches help you achieve excel in your life and will provide you tools and resources to set and achieve health goals.
Health and wellness coaches can be particularly useful if you have chronic health conditions which can be mitigated by motivating you to reduce stress and shed excess weight. Just as a sports coach can help an athlete improve their performance and win medals, a health and wellness coach can help you achieve health and fitness goals.
Most people hire health coaches to help them achieve their goals like weight loss, nutrition, exercise, stress reduction, tobacco cessation, addiction, and managing chronic conditions like diabetes, blood pressure and heart problems. Health coach is mostly involved in coaching related health and wellness but it can help your career and professional success.
What makes an effective health coach
One of the essential attributes of an effective health coach is a passion for helping others to reach their potential. If you feel passionate about empowering others and health and fitness is your interest, a career of health and wellness coach is worth considering.
As a health and wellness coach you need to work one-on-one with those who want to improve overall fitness and health. You have to use concepts from psychology, motivation theory,behaviour change, and life coaching. As a wellness coach you need to help your client overcome their obstacles to live a healthy and fulfilling life.
Job Responsibilities of health coach
- Assessing clients’ health
- Developing health care plans.
- Prepare diet plan
- Prepare exercise plan
- Giving feedback
- Strategizing to improve health.
Key qualities the best health coaches need to possess.
- You like working with people and it excites you.
- You have an optimistic outlook towards life.
- You have excellent communication skills.
- You constantly read and learn about topics on health, wellness, and fitness.
- You get satisfaction to know that you helped.
- You like to put people at ease.
- You are organized and always prepared to help.
- You have an open-mind and a good listener.
- You like to push others when they’re stuck in order to reach their goals.
- You are persistent and.
Where do health coach work
Health and wellness coaches primarily work at:
- Fitness centers.
- Public health organizations.
- Major corporations.
- Insurance companies.
- Nursing homes.
- Nonprofit agencies.
- Training centers.
- Independent coaches work in their client’s home.
- Online training sessions
The reasons for hiring health and wellness coach include a desire to:
- Increase energy and motivation
- Increase productivity
- Lose weight
- Increase motivation for fitness.
- Prioritize self-care
- Eat healthier
- Exercise more
- Reduce overwhelm
- Quitting smoking
- Reducing stress
- Improving interpersonal relationships
- Achieving better work-life balance
- Increasing life satisfaction
- Practicing a positive mindset
- Preparing for events like marriage.
- Avoid chronic illness.
- Managing chronic illness.
- Improve sex life.
Health and wellness coaches are trained professionals who need to have proper knowledge of various aspects of health like.
- Health & Wellness
- Transformational Coaching
- Personal Growth
Training and certifications for health and wellness coaches.
Health and wellness coaching is a relatively new field, and it is unregulated as of now. So you do not need certification to work as a health coach. In other words, you can be a health coach without the need of professional training. However, getting trained and certified is recommended since it gives you more knowledge and understanding of the wellness industry. You can enroll both in person and online for your training and certification.
Among the most popular and well-respected are:
- The National Society of Health Coaches.
- The American Council on Exercise.
- Dr. Sears Wellness Institute.
- Duke Integrative Medicine.
- International Association of Wellness Professionals (IAWP)
- ACE Health Coach Certification.
- ADAPT Certified Functional Health Coach.
- AFPA Health & Wellness Coach Certification.
- Primal Health Coach Program.
Benefits of using services of a health coach.
Able to change your diet and motivation to exercise is often difficult, even when it’s something you really want. Sometimes it may feel downright impossible. The benefit of having a reliable health coach is having someone who can help you through it, and research shows it actually works pretty well.
Study have found that people who have used services of health coach significantly improved their health:
- Managing blood pressure.
- Reducing cholesterol.
- Reducing blood sugar levels.
- Reducing triglycerides.
- Reduced body weight.
- Improved cardiovascular fitness.
A health coach can get you results when you feel like nothing you’ve done on your own has worked out. Health and wellness coach can motivate you if you feel overwhelmed and discouraged.
Often people get discouraged after a doctor’s appointment and become desperate for their health. Like, ‘Gosh, I need to lose 50 pounds of weight’. A health coach can help you to start and make progress by planning your weight loss and make sure you follow the program.
A health and wellness coach helps you reach your health goals.
- Accountability: Health coaches are there to measure your progress and can give you the extra push you need to move forward.
- Encouragement: Health coaches motivate you to pick you up when you’re having difficulties to move forward.
- Educate you about health. Health coaches educate you about healthy habits, such as nutritious foods, exercise, handling stress, and sleep.
- Identify health concerns. Health coaches evaluate your lifestyle choice and identify any potential causes of your health problems.
- Create environments that support you reach your personal wellness objectives.
- Recognize the conditions for referring to your primary care physician for treatment or diagnosis.
Health and wellness coaching is one of the fastest growing careers one can pursue. As people are becoming more aware about their health because of the proliferation of online media. Health coach can be a lucrative career for those who have deep interest in health and fitness. Moreover, since you don’t need a license to practice, it’s open for those who want to make an impact and have a desire to help others. If you are interested in taking the services of a health coach you need to be more aware of individual coaches and their track record. You need to also make clear your goals about health so that coaches can guide you towards a healthy and fulfilling life.