Purpose of life has been one of the most important questions asked to philosophers. Ancient Greek philosophers like Aristotle believed that happiness is the primary goal of human existence and we do most of our activities to achieve that goal. Similarly Socrates said personal and spiritual growth is the purpose of human existence. While Buddha believed in attaining enlightenment(Nirvana) to get rid of inherent suffering caused by greed, hatred, and ignorance.
Your life purpose guides you and motivates you, it is the reason you wake in the morning and plan for the future. Purpose influences your behavior, goals, offers a sense of direction to help you reach your destiny.
When you have a purpose defined for your life, you have a much higher probability of achieving long-term happiness. You won’t feel like you’re just drifting aimlessly to some vague goal that doesn’t make you feel better.
Life without a purpose
A life without a purpose is a life without a goal that leads you nowhere. Finding the right path in life is an existential problem to all. At some point in life, you need to find yourself that should guide you to find your purpose. Your purpose will give you meaning of life that should make you content, happy and forget worries.
Well defined purpose in life is good for health
Having a purpose in life affects your physical and mental health. A purposeful life decreases risk of death because you have something to complete that guides you.
Having a strong sense of purpose can boost your health and increase immunity. It makes you psychologically resilient. Working with a sense of purpose can be a great source of satisfaction, which explains why retiring early is bad for longevity and increases risks of dementia.
Other benefits of living with purpose
- Give you a sense of fulfillment.
- Gives meaning to your life.
- Gives you direction.
- Motivates you against obstacles
- Having the right purpose aligned to you can bring you closer to family and friends.
- Makes you passionate about your goals.
- Builds your character
- Makes you successful
- You become a better human being.
- Makes you happier with life
Why is it hard to find your purpose in life
When you try to find your purpose you analyze what you love to do, what are your innate skills, what you can offer to others and what is the need of the hour. This analysis allows you to find your purpose and when you find it you know where you belong.
However everyone is trapped in their daily activity, earning for life, or other engagements. That diminishes your awareness of your unique life purpose. So understanding and finding purpose is difficult. That creates chaos, confusion in your life no matter how successful you are in terms of money or achievement.
Identify your purpose
You need to identify the purpose of your life. The sooner the better. You can ask yourself several questions that can help you find your purpose.
- Know your unique talent. Knowing your unique talents can help you find ways to use your talents even though you are not working in that field. Most individuals are often unconscious about the hidden talents they have.
- Know matters most to you. Knowing what matters most will help you live your life by design and not by default.
- Know your values. Knowing your values allows you to develop strong opinions about important subjects. When you know what you truly believe, you can then project your true self.
- Know what your friends and family say about you. Knowing what others say about you can help you identify your true self. Sometimes they say good things about other times they point out your shortcomings.
- Know what you want to do given a chance. You can ask this question about yourself to know your motivation, aspirations and interests.
- Know what works for you. Knowing what works for you is also important since many times you are working hard on something else that doesn’t work but not trying something which is effortless for you.
After asking the question you will know yourself more that can help you find your purpose. Still you need various activities to help you make concrete points about what really matters to you that will bring long lasting happiness. You don’t need to drift from one goal to another without purpose.
Some of the most popular answers you can find about purpose of life
- I want to chase my dreams.
- I want to live the life of me dreams
- I want life that matters and to stand for something that makes a difference.
- I want to maximize my potential in life.
- I want to surpass the person I have always wanted to be.
- I want to reach the highest level of self by becoming the best version of myself.
- I seek long term happiness.
- I want to be a true genuine human being.
- I want to create tools which can expand one’s perception of the world.
- I want to learn many things to become an expert in a chosen field.
- I seek wisdom and avoid suffering caused by ignorance and find true happiness.
- I seek to make the world a better place to live for everyone..
- I want to contribute towards the well-being of others
- I want to help others to create a better world.
- I want to be creative and innovative.
- I want a life full of love.
- I want to love those who mean the most.
- I want to treasure every good moment.
- I seek beauty in all its forms.
- I want a fun filled life and enjoy life.
- I seek pleasure and avoid pain.
- I want to be compassionate.
- I am moved by the pain of others, and want to help them out of love and compassion.
- I want to eat, drink, and be merry.
- I seek power and superiority.
In order to achieve the above purpose in your life you need to follow strategies to make it possible.
- Don’t rush. When you rush things because good things take time. By rushing you build unnecessary expectations.
- Focus. Focus on one thing at the time and pursue it with commitment.
- Read more. Find books that matter to you and read. Reading will open your mind to new learning and expand your knowledge base.
- Challenge yourself. By challenging yourself you build new skills, build muscles and will inspire yourself and others.
- Listen to Feedback. Seeking feedback will allow you to identify key areas of improvement that help you towards your goal.
- Explore your Interests. When you explore more, you know what you enjoy, what you are good at that can help you pursue your goals.
- Network with like minded people. Like minded people who have the same interests as you can help you find better solutions to problems and you will enjoy their company.
- Ignore your inner critic. Inner criticism can destroy your self esteem so ignore it by being more self aware.
- Have the courage to express yourself. Appropriately expressing yourself releases inner tension and makes you calm.
- Always prioritize family and friends. Family and friends are a source of joy and happiness.
Living a life with purpose can be the single most important source of long term success, joy and excitement. We see a lot of unhappy people who are restless and they jump from one goal to another. That not only makes their own life miserable but also makes their loved ones unhappy. This is the sign of not knowing the purpose of life. Without purpose your life is not aligned to your values, passion that leads to stress, anxiety and depression. And those who know their purpose and work towards their goal are motivated despite facing obstacles. Purpose driven life gives them better health and longevity and they never retire.